What are you doing? Put your throwing skills to the test with this challenge and work on your curling strategy and scoring at the same time! In this challenge, you’ll get to play four ends of curling (at home or on the ice) either against yourself or someone else and see if you can win the game after four ends! As a bonus, this is a great way to practice throwing, strategy and scoring without any sweeping or a skip to call your shots. Challenge winners will be chosen by how many points they scored in 4 ends, and by creativity for at home set up!
Where should we do it?
Option A – Inside at home: an open space with no obstructions (no specific size – use an area that works for you!)
Option B – On the curling ice (using a full sheet of ice).
What do we need?
Option A – Inside at home: an item to use as “the button” (a coaster or round piece of paper works well!), 8 items to use as “rocks” (4 of each colour- ie balled up socks, bean bags, small balls), a piece of paper and pen to keep score.
Option B – On the curling ice: 8 rocks (4 of each colour), a sheet of curling ice, all items you use to throw a rock (broom, slider, etc.)
How should we set-up?
Option A – Inside at home: prepare your homemade “rocks” (4 for each team), and find a homemade “button” to use. Place the button at the far end of the room. Throw your “rocks” towards the button as you would in a curling game (alternating between teams). If you are playing against yourself, make sure to alternate which colours you are throwing! After all 8 rocks have been thrown, count up the score for the end and write it down. After 4 ends, track who won the game!
Option B – On the curling ice: Make sure your sheet of ice is clear of anyone else practicing, and gather 4 rocks of each colour. Throw your rocks towards the button as you would in a curling game (alternating between teams). If you are playing against yourself, make sure to alternate which colours you are throwing! After all 8 rocks have been thrown, count up the score for the end and write it down. After 4 ends, track who won the game!
How do we do it?
- Prepare your rocks and place your button at the far end of the room (if competing from home).
- Do a coin toss, or play rock paper scissors to determine who has hammer. Play your first end, alternating teams after each shot, and write down your score at the end of each end. Score the same way you would in a curling game.
- Play 4 ends. Remember, whoever scores in the previous end goes first!
- The team with the highest score after 4 ends wins. If there is a tie, each team will throw one rock in a draw to the button competition. The team with the closest rock to the button is the winner.
- Remember, if you are playing at home, make sure you only compete against other people in your bubble, and if you are competing on the ice against a player on your team ensure you are following physical distance rules and COVID guidelines at all times!
- Submit your score from the game and a photo of your set up!